Nine members of the Speech and Debate team competed in the National Speech and Debate Association’s National Tournament this past week! This was an exciting year for our team – 2020 marks the 40th time Ladue has qualified students to the national tournament! Thank you to all of the coaches and students – past and present – who made this possible.
In addition to the usual work of competing in a national tournament, the students also had to navigate an online tournament for the first time, submit recorded speech performances, adapt to new rules, and debate via Zoom! Congratulations to the students listed below on their accomplishments!
– Anna Reis (11) – 2nd place in Extemporaneous Debate and Semifinalist in Prepared Commentary Speaking
Anna advanced to the national championship round after 3 days and 13 rounds of extemporaneous debate!
– Ayush Ajmani (12) & Gabe DiAntonio (11) – Top 30 in Extemporaneous Debate
– Ayush Ajmani (12) and Eli Goldstein (12) – Top 70 in Public Forum Debate
– Gabe DiAntonio (11) and Grace Hu (11) – Top 80 in Policy Debate
– Will Xie (11) – Advanced to Round 6 of Extemporaneous Debate
– Grace Hu (11) – Top 60 in Prepared Commentary Speaking and advanced to Round 5 of Extemporaneous Debate
Ladue was also represented by the following students:
– Ari Gottesman (11) – International Extemporaneous Speaking
– Catherine Liao (11) – Original Oratory
– Sophia Liu (10) – Dramatic Interpretation
– Anna Reis (11) – Lincoln-Douglas Debate
– Will Xie (11) – Congressional Debate